Light Emitting Diodes (LED's) is a solid state semi-conductor device which can convert electrical energy directly in to light energy. Neon signs however, are glass tubes filled with neon gas. There are many differences between the two including:
- LED's are a lot smaller occupying less space height wise as well as in depth;
- LED's do not heat up in the same way that Neon does thus requiring less space behind the sign;
- LED's are much easier to transport and install and require less maintenance than Neon signs; LED signs are bright and clear to read from any distance while Neon signs tend to get blurred if viewed from far away;
- LED signs have a lifetime of around 100,000 hours whereas Neon signs need to be refilled and may also have gas leaks;
- LED signs are also more eco-friendly as they do not emit any gases and have low energy usage;
- LED's can be used to create variable message signs and animation;
- LED's are extremely malleable and can be twisted in any direction with ease whereas Neon signs are manufactured using glass and so need specialised processes to turn and twist.
We prefer to use LED's wherever possible as we feel it has the best overall long lasting effect for your signage and is also the most environmentally friendly lighting solution. contact our centre for further information and options.